Re: Mapping gid numbers

On 7/23/19 11:01 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
At Tue, 23 Jul 2019 18:00:51 +0000 (UTC) JC <lovecraftesque@yahoo.com> wrote:
My question is not strictly an LDAP one, but perhaps somebody here with
experience in the LDAP and Linux worlds can throw some light on it.
I understand how to map attributes, as defined in an LDAP server, to other
attributes in a Linux when the NSS framework is used in the latter. Is it
possible to map values of attributes? Let's say I have an OpenLDAP server
that defines a certain group with a gid number 10000. Would it be possible
to map that 10000 to (say)  5000 in the Linux system? That is, every time
an operation is executed in the Linux system that uses the group
information, the gid would be retrieved from the OpenLDAP server as 10000,
and automatically be converted to 5000. Can this be done?

I am not sure I understand the point of this.  The "numbers" are only of
interest to the machine.  The usual thing is to map some human meaningful
symbol (eg the accounting department) to some number used by the computers

I think the original poster wants to have real POSIX ID mapping. This typically happens after company mergers where one does not want to change all ownership in the file systems.

If one wants to have ID mapping within slapd one has to develop an overlay for that.

Not sure whether DBIS is still actively developed.

https://ldapcon.org/2015/accepted-papers/dbis-directory-based-information-services/

https://sourceforge.net/p/dbis/wiki/Home/

With DBIS the ID mapping is done in a special NSS client.

Ciao, Michael.