ldap_destroy() vs. ldap_unbind()

Hello.

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but the only thing close to an answer I could find is from a post of Hallvard B Furuseth to this list (pre-dating the actual ldap_destroy() introduction) stating that ldap_unbind() was mis-named and should have been called ldap_destroy().

The question is whether to use ldap_destroy() or ldap_unbind().
More precisely, the question is which one is preferable in a single-threaded application that never calls ldap_dup().

>From reading the man page of ldap_dup()/ldap_destroy() and above mentioned post, I would get the impression that technichally, it doesn't matter, so I would gess ldap_unbind() to be slightly preferable because it works with pre-2.4.24 OpenLDAP.

However, proposing such an adjustment (https://redmine.lighttpd.net/issues/2849 in case anyone cares[*]) was vigorously turned down stating I didn't know what I was talking about so I might be missing something.

Could someone shed light on this? I'm in no way an LDAP or OpenLDAP expert, just trying to read man pages.

[*] There's an error in my comment there: I wrote "2.4" where it should read "2.4.24".