Re: slapindex vs reimport debug messages (mdb_index_read: failed (-30798))

--On Wednesday, May 08, 2019 1:02 PM -0700 John Holder <john@johnholder.net> wrote:

Greetings OpenLDAP List!

I have a quick question about the context and meaning of messages which
show when using slapd debug and how/whether they impact indexes and
performance.

I recently ran into an issue where an attribute was not indexed, so I
applied an index using #slapindex -F (config) (atr)

When starting the daemon in debug mode and doing a search, there are many
entries regarding mdb equality and index failure (see below)
However, if I re-import the data using slapadd, and run the same search,
all of those messages go away.

I was hoping someone could assist with the meaning of the messages and
why does it print the messages even after slapindex was run, but not if
the olcDbIndex is added and then the ldif is re-imported?

Hi John,

The olcDbIndex must be added *prior* to running slapindex on the attribute. Running slapindex on an attribute that does not have an olcDbIndex value is a no-op.

Regards,
Quanah

Product Architect
Symas Corporation