Re: back_mdb: does rtxnsize affect slapcat live backups?

On 3/29/19 8:51 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> Have a secondary server (a replica) of the first.  Using cn=config,
> delete the syncrepl statement from the replica, run slapcat, then re-add
> the syncrepl statement when you're done.  As long as the server is under
> heavy write traffic and backups take signficant time, you will
> unfortunately heavily fragment the DB.

Thanks for your suggestion!

In your proposed scenario, is there a difference between removing
olcSyncRepl from the replica, and stopping the replica completely, other
than the replica being unavailable for read queries during backup ?

My understanding is that in both cases, replication would have to catch
up with the master with a full present phrase (unless I use a large
enough session log).

Since ITS#8486 and OpenLDAP 2.4.46, it seems that having a large session
log is a viable option, but how large could those modification allow the
sessionlog to grow? 100K ? 1M entries ?

Maxime Besson
System Engineer - Worteks
maxime.besson@worteks.com