Re: slapd memory usage

On 2/12/19 12:29 PM, Zev Weiss wrote:
> Couldn't one s/running with larger limits/consuming more resources/ and
> s/system administration/software development/ and produce an equally
> valid argument though?  (If anything, larger-than-necessary limits seem
> the more justifiable of the two to me -- it allows for future growth,
> which can be hard to predict.)

This text contains too many implicit branches. ;-)

Mainly I understand that you're asking for another config option.

Well, the various rlimit config of your OS applies. You can even set
them in your service-specific systemd units or whatever.

> More to the crux of the matter: why does slapd need to preallocate all
> OPEN_MAX possible connection info records at once instead of dynamically
> as connections are actually created?

As I understand Howard's former posting the resources are preallocated
to have them ready in case the system gets under high pressure later.
Makes sense to me.

Ciao, Michael.