Re: openldap proxy to kerberos

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 04:18:36PM -0500, vadud3@gmail.com wrote:
> I am using openldap proxy today with ldap backend.
>
> Any suggestions on how to use kerberos as the backend?

Kerberos only has infomation necessary for authentication; like principals
and policies. LDAP stores much more, such as group memberships, numerical
uids, home directories, etc. So normally people use both LDAP and Kerberos,
not Kerberos alone. There are 3 ways that Kerberos and LDAP can work
together:

1, LDAP can use Kerberos to authenicate (bind) access
2, LDAP can forward authentication request to kerberos via SASL
3, Kerberos can use LDAP as a database backend

In my organization we are using 1 and 2, but not 3. I think Microsoft AD also
does something similiar under the hood.