Antw: Re: Q: "deferring operation: too many executing" / "deferring operation: pending operations"

<de393557-10ad-55a1-8771-61311d35f000@symas.com>:
> Dieter Klünter wrote:
>> Am Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:16:54 +0100
>> schrieb "Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have a question for the following log messages:
>>> slapd[2215]: connection_input: conn=144871 deferring operation: too
>>> many executing slapd[2215]: connection_input: conn=144871 deferring
>>> operation: pending operations slapd[2215]: connection_input:
>>> conn=144871 deferring operation: pending operations
>>>
>>> What is "too many", i.e. where is that limit configured?
>>> Is it possible to tell how many "pending operations" there are?
>>
>> In fact bash(1) is the culprit, read bash(1) on ulimit.
>> The reason most likely is too many filesystem I/O's requested, bad
>> search filter design, too many operations on the same index database,
>> etc.
>
> No, ulimit has nothing to do with this.
>
> No single connection is allowed to use more than half of the number of slapd

> threads. Once
> that limit is reached on any connection, further ops on that connection are

> queued.

I hardly saw any connection executing more than one operation simultaneously
in the past. So I'd really like to learn what's going on. Unfortunately thes
events are quite rare. Could it be caused by some disk I/O (read slow)
problem?

Ulrich