Re: cn=config default access control

--On Friday, November 16, 2018 10:11 AM +0800 Derek Zhou <derek@shannon-data.com> wrote:

My argument is why isn't it the default?

A couple of immediate answers come to mind, there are probably more:

a) OpenLDAP is used on numerous operating systems. Not all of those operating systems support UNIX sockets.

b) Not everyone configures slapd for use with ldapi

By the way, if we really want people to use cn=config exclusively, I
suggest to remove all mentioning of slapd.conf from the latest
documentation. Old admins  appreciate cn=config more and there will be
less distraction for newbies.

Once cn=config is the only way to configure OpenLDAP, such documentation will be removed. However, that won't be occurring in OpenLDAP 2.5, which is the next major release, so it is valid for this documentation to remain in OpenLDAP master for the time being.

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>