Re: slapadd: database doesn't support necessary operations.

--On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 11:07 AM +0100 Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
What you will have to do:

a) Use slapcat with the older SLES build to export your cn=config
database b) Update the resulting LDIF so that it works correctly with
the new SLES  build
c) Import it with the new SLES slapd

I tried to do so, but It did not work:
Without debugging the only message I got was "slapadd: database doesn't
support necessary operations.".

What is special with the "Backend ACL"? Is this referring to a specific
line of my LDIF? The command I used was "slapadd -v -n0 -F
/etc/openldap/slapd.d -S 1 -w -g -dparse,ACL,trace -l /tmp/test-0.ldif"

It's simply warning the ACL lacks a specific database context, so it can be unclear what to apply it to. It's not the source of your problem.

The basic question is: What is the necessary operation the database does
not support?

Please fix your slapadd command to provide the necessary information as to why it stopped (You want a debug level of -1 in this case:

slapadd -v -n0 -F /etc/openldap/slapd.d -w -S 1 -d -1 -l /tmp/test-0.ldif

Additionally, ensure that /etc/openldap/slapd.d is empty before running slapadd, i.e.:

cd /etc/openldap
mv slapd.d slapd.d.old
mkdir slapd.d

Then run the slapadd command.