Re: Why built-in schemas are a bad idea

On 11/7/18 7:10 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Wednesday, November 07, 2018 7:02 PM +0100 Michael Ströder
> <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
>
>> As I understand Ulrich, the old SLES11 package does not even support the
>> module load directive to be added.
>>
>> That's why I think that his expectation that rolling upgrades with
>> replicated cn=config always just work cannot be met.
>
> Right, because SLES fundamentally changed how slapd is built out.  In
> that scenario, rolling upgrades will not work.

I'm pretty sure there are numerous other corner cases where it does not
work smoothly.

> This wouldn't work with
> slapd.conf either, since you'd have to change the slapd.conf
> configuration too.

I could easily write a *site-specific* slapd.conf...

>  I.e., nothing specific to cn=config about this,

...as I could also write a *site-specific* cn=config.

(Remember I wrote: "No, I don't want to start yet another static vs.
dynamic config discussion.")

> although cn=config does add an additional wrinkle since it can be
> replicated.

And that's what I consider to cause a lot of grief.

Also look at Ulrich's issues with serverID and multi-homed hosts for
which there's not really a good solution.

Ciao, Michael.