Re: Adding read-only consumers to a Mirror Mode Replication setup?

* Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@symas.com> [20181018 09:26]:
> --On Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:10 AM +0200 Michael Ströder
> <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
>
> >On 10/18/18 1:41 AM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> >>I've had setups with 2-node MMR on the front, and read only consumers.
> >>It works just fine, as long as any given consumer only points to one
> >>master. Theoretically, it's supposed to work so that consumers can point
> >>to more than one master in an MMR setup, but my experience didn't match
> >>that (<http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/?findid=8373>).
> >
> >There's no config in ITS#8373.
> >But you mention accesslog DB.
> >Does that mean your setup used delta-syncrepl?
>
> Yes.  It was simply a standard Zimbra MMR deployment.
>
> >If yes, does that issue also apply to normal syncrepl?
>
> No idea.  I generally consider "normal" syncrepl unsafe as using it
> can lead to data loss.  I use delta-syncrepl exclusively because of
> this, with a focus on eliminating all scnearios in which it might
> fall back to "normal" syncrepl. (See
> <http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/?findid=8125> for example).
>
> --Quanah

I'd like to follow up on this discussion, sorry if I've taken so long to reply.

First, I'd like to thank all that have commented so far, much appreciated.

I have a few more questions because some sort of un-easiness about my setup has
crept up in view of the different comments that have been written so far.

Right now I have 2 Debian Stretch 9.5 servers running 2.4.46 from the stretch
backports. Servers are in a MMR setup, using syncrepl for replication (NOT
delta-syncrepl), with a LMDB backend.

The intent is to use the directory as a users authentication repository for a
100+ workstations-- with what I said above, would such a setup considered safe?
Am I asking for trouble down the road with version 2.4.46?

Finally, should I rather consider the LTB project for Debian OpenLDAP as been
mentioned in some other threads rather than using the Debian backports?  I'm a
bit reluctant to roll my own packaging from source.

Sorry for the very naive questions, I'm still fairly new to OpenLDAP!

thanks!
jf

--
Jean-François Malouin           | IT Operations and Infrastructure
McConnell Brain Imaging Centre  | Montreal Neurological Institute