granting write privileges to alternate updatedn

Running Openldap 2.4.40 under RHEL 6.10

  Trying to get this to work without success (from the slapd.access man page):

"  One useful application is to easily grant write privileges to an updatedn that is different  from  the  rootdn.
  In this case, since the updatedn needs write access to (almost) all data, one can use

            access to *
                 by dn.exact="cn=The Update DN,dc=example,dc=com" write
                 by * break    "

I have this as the only access rule in slapd.conf but any write operation using this dn gives me insufficient access, and slapacl verifies that read access only is permitted.

access to dn.subtree="dc=university,dc=edu"
  by dn.exact="cn=grouper-admin,dc=university,dc=edu" write
  by * break

Standard rootdn works fine.    This system is a master for two consumers, but there's no external access to the master so a stripped-down acl list is appropriate.

Thanks for any direction for what I've missed.

Peter