Re: How to add a new schema on N-way multi-master with legacy config

On 10/10/18 8:32 AM, Martin Božič wrote:
> We've inherited an N-way multi-master setup (based on CentOS OpenLDAP v.
> 2.4.39) which was setup with text conf in slapd.conf instead of online
> configuration in cn=config.

slapd.conf is still fine and will even be supported in 2.5.

> I suppose that adding a new schema to such a setup would require the
> following steps:
>
> 1. stop all instances in the cluster
> 2. add schema to all instances to /etc/openldap/schema
> 3. start all instances in the cluster

If you're just adding *new* schema you can do this one-by-one, as long
as you don't add data requiring the new schema to any of the MMR
providers. So you could avoid the down-time with some extra caution.
After installing the new schema to all MMR providers you can add data
using the new schema.

Just add this line to slapd.conf:

include /path/to/additional.schema

Note:

The new schema file (which one?) might require other schema files to be
loaded before. So probably add the include statement *after* all the
other schema-include statements.

If the new schema also contains a change to *existing* schema for
already *existing* data you might also have to reload the database.

Ciao, Michael.