Antw: Re: issues with equality matching and slapd death

Nachricht <C7915030A7A58C6F89027FDC@[192.168.1.39]>:
> --On Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:02 AM +0200 Michael Ströder
> <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
>
>> Ah, you're right. But slapd should not have crashed during that operation.
>>
>> @Chris: Could you reproduce all that with a recent OpenLDAP release?
>
> As I noted, adding an EQUALITY rule to the attribute schema definition when

> it didn't have one prior means that the data for that attribute now has to
> have normalized values stored in the database, regardless of whether or not

> it is indexed.  Schema changes when there is existing data can require a
> database reload for the system to function properly afterwards.  Thus the
> reason an assert() was triggered and slapd exited (correctly).

Would it be very complicated to implement a check before committing such a
schema change (assuming the change was done during runtime); if the change was
done offline, could it be checked during startup?
I think using assert()s is to detect programming errors. If something isn't
implemented or supported, there should be a helpful message before quitting.