Re: issues with equality matching and slapd death

Hi Chris,

--On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:10 AM -0400 Christopher Paul <chris.paul@rexconsulting.net> wrote:

While planning for a migration, I ran into the following error:

ldap_modify: Inappropriate matching (18)

         additional info: modify/add: mailAlternateAddress: no
equality matching rule

That's not an error. You should have done a changetype: replace rather than changetype: modify since it has no matching rule. This has been covered multiple times on the list over the years.

For example:

<http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201602/msg00132.html>
<https://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201106/msg00190.html>

I tried to fix this by updating the schema to add "EQUALITY
caseIgnoreMatch" to the attribute definition for mailAlternateAddress.

Generally not a good idea if you have any existing data using this attribute in your database.

olcAttributeTypes: {2}( 2.16.840.1.113730.3.1.13 NAME
'mailAlternateAddress' D

  ESC 'iPlanet defined attribute type'EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatchSYNTAX
1.3.6.1.

  4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 X-ORIGIN 'iPlanet Messaging Server' )

You appear to be missing a space between the EQUALITY rule and SYNTAX.

Now, after the schema change, the same ldapmodify kills slapd.

If you already have entries in your database using that attribute, this may be expected since the attribute now requires normalization due to the added matching rule. You'd want to dump/reload your database via slapcat/slapadd now that you've modified the schema for that attribute. I'd generally advise not modifying the schema and using the correct steps to modify the attribute.

Warm regards,
Quanah

Product Architect
Symas Corporation