Re: Replication issue? Data is different between master and consumer with same entryCSNs

--On Wednesday, September 05, 2018 5:49 PM -0400 Dave Steiner <steiner@rutgers.edu> wrote:

Hi Dave,

$ ldapsearch ... -H ldap://ldapmaster.rutgers.edu uid=XXXX postalAddress
createTimestamp modifyTimestamp entryCSN
 dn: uid=XXXX,ou=People,dc=rutgers,dc=edu
 createTimestamp: 20121220100700Z
 postalAddress: Business And Science Bldg$227 Penn Street$Camden, NJ
081021656
 entryCSN: 20180505002024.083133Z#000000#001#000000
 modifyTimestamp: 20180505002024Z

$ ldapsearch ... -H ldap://ldapconsumer3.rutgers.edu uid=XXXX
postalAddress createTimestamp modifyTimestamp entryCSN
 dn: uid=XXXX,ou=People,dc=rutgers,dc=edu
 createTimestamp: 20121220100700Z
 postalAddress: BUSINESS AND SCIENCE BLDG$227 PENN STREET$CAMDEN, NJ
081021656
 entryCSN: 20180505002024.083133Z#000000#001#000000
 modifyTimestamp: 20180505002024Z

Those entries appear identical to me. I assume you believe they are not identical because the case doesn't match. However, postalAddress uses caseIgnore normalization rules, so they are in fact identical as far as LDAP is concerned.

Also, given the entry was created in 2012 and there's no indication of when the postalAddress attribute was modified, it's impossible to determine when/how the divergence in capitalization occurred. You also don't provide any information about the underlying database in use, which could be very relevant, history wise.

So I'm trying to figure out why this happens (config issue, bug, ???) and
second, if I can't use the contextCSN to report that everything is fine,
what else can I do besides trying to compare ldif dumps.

So far, everything appears fine from a technical standpoint (the values match per LDAP SYNTAX rules).

I would suggest the following if you would like the case to match:

dn: ...
changetype: modify
replace: postalAddress
postalAddress: ...

That should correct the value on the providers and consumers to match case.

Warm regards,
Quanah

Product Architect
Symas Corporation