Re: Recommended way to transfer data from one cluster to the other?

--On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:48 PM +0200 Karsten Heymann <karsten.heymann@gmail.com> wrote:

Which one is the preferred one? I would assume slapcat and slapadd,
but I must admit I have not fully understood the purpose of the -S and
-w switch. Should we somehow filter the *CSN-fields from the exported
ldif as I assume they make no sense for the new cluster or are they
automatically fixed when using slapadd with said options?

Indeed, slapcat + slapadd is the preferred route.

The CSN fields tie in to server ID. If your new cluster uses the same serverIDs as the old cluster, then you can just import the data as-is. If the new cluster has different serverIDs, then the procedure is:

a) slapcat existing database on the old cluster (while servers are offline *)
b) slapadd (-q -S -w) to one of the new master servers while it is offline
c) slapcat the new master server while it is offline so that you have a DB with correct SID values in the CSN fields.
d) slapadd this second export to the rest of the new cluster

* <http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/?findid=8902>

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>