Re: warning about rootdn privileges

On 6/20/18 5:28 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:22 PM -0400 Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk@bio.umass.edu> wrote:

When one's Google Foo fails, turn to an appropriate list.

I would like to get rid of these warnings (rootdn is always granted
unlimited privileges). First, it's annoying that our cron always spits
back an email. Second, one assumes that where there is a warning, there
might be something that should be done differently. I've tried searching,
but it seems this warning always comes up in conjunction with some other
error that someone is concerned about. This particular warning is always
ignored in the discussion of the error of concern as far as I have been
able to find.

    5b2472a5 /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 170: rootdn is
always granted unlimited privileges.

Hi Chris,

One of the lovely things about open source software is, well, that the source is open.  A 2 second grep discovers that this messages comes from "aclparse.c".  I.e., the portion of the code responsible for parsing ACLs. Thus it would appear that you have ACLs referencing the rootdn (which as noted in slapd.access(5) is not subject to ACLs).

Hope that helps!

Warm regards,
Quanah

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>

Thank you! It's been a while since I've done much programming, and I'm just getting into ldap.

With your pointer and a bit of manual reading (http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/guide.html#Access%20Control), I modified our slapd.conf (which was originally set up by someone else), as follows:

   # THESE ARE DEFAULT BEHAVIORS AND RESULT IN WARNINGS ON STARTUP. Commented out 6/21/2018, CGH.
   1st occurance of 2.
   #access to *
   #        by dn="cn=support,dc=bio,dc=nsm" write
   #        by * read

Earlier in the slapd.conf is the line 'rootdn "cn=support,dc=bio,dc=nsm"', so that is the rootdn that was being granted write.

After doing a `sudo service slapd-local force-reload`, the ldap.log shows things starting up without a complaint and syncrepl working. Then I checked another server that is a client, and I can still use my network login. So, it seems all is well. Now I just have to wait and see if the cron stops emailing warnings. I believe it will be cleared up, because the messages didn't show in the ldap.log when I reloaded it.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
  c/ /'_ --- Biology & Geosciences Departments
 (*) \(*) -- 315 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk@bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4