Re: Switching from bdb to lmdb with Openldap-2.4.46

Saurabh, hello.

On 4 Jun 2018, at 19:56, Frank Swasey wrote:

you would shutdown your ldap server.
slapcat the bdb database out
change your slapd.conf file to use MDB instead of BDB
slapadd your database into mdb

As a parenthesis to Frank's advice, I'll mention that this is good advice not just for the sort of significant configuration change you're talking about. The way I manage all such configuration changes, major and minor, is by keeping the server's config in a version-controlled slapd.ldif, and making almost no configuration changes to the running system.

Thus the way I make config changes is:

  * stop slapd (leaving the mirrors running)
  * slapcat >dump.ldif (all the non-configuration data)
* nuke-and-reinitialise.sh (deletes slapd.d; copies into place slapd.ldif, certificates, and some schema mods; then calls slapadd to load slapd.ldif into slapd.d)
  * slapadd dump.ldif
  * start slapd

That way, I know exactly what configuration is running _and_ I can test _exactly_ the modified configuration in a VM, beforehand.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk