search abandoned by pagedResult nentries=0

Hello

I have a software (zimbra) that request my openldap server regularly in
order to update the "Global Address List" (for mail auto-completion)
It request the openldap with a simple search filter after binding
however, although it seems to start fine, the result ends with

May 24 20:40:48 ldapmt slapd[16434]: conn=1003 op=2 SEARCH RESULT
tag=101 err=0 nentries=0 text=search abandoned by pagedResult size=0

nentries=0 and no result is returned

I do see the request in the ldap logs

May 24 20:40:48 ldapmt slapd[16434]: conn=1003 op=2 SRCH
base="dc=telecom,dc=fr" scope=2 deref=3 filter="(|(mail=*)(sn=*))"

If I do the exact same request (binddn, bindpassw, searchbase, ldapuri,
scope, deref, filter)  from the zimbra server itself,
I do get a correct result with nentries=6505

I don't understand why when the zimbra software does the same request,
it fails with nentries=0 text=search abandoned by pagedResult !?
what is that message "search abandoned by pagedResult" means ?
how can I further debug that problem ? ( I already set loglevel to acl
filter stats )

Regards