Re: Understanding slapd connections

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:49:09AM +0200, Igor Zobin wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I am struggling to understand what exactly the command lsof -i tcp:389 is
> showing.
>
> What exactly is counted as an established connection here?

That's a state of the TCP connection:

  https://community.apigee.com/articles/7970/tcp-states-explained.html

> Can I limit that amount somehow through slapd configuration?

I _think_ that the conn_max_pending and conn_max_pending_auth help
control this.

Also, you can use the idletimeout directive to control the
disoconnections of unused/stale connections.

The docs also discuss the keepalive directive, but I've never used
that.

> Can I monitor which of those connections shown by lsof are still in use and
> which just hang around doing nothing?

IIRC, From lsof, you can learn PIDs and file descriptors. You can access
the FD through procfs.

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large