OpenLDAP UTF8 values support

Hello,

I have started a small project to build a mail server, and the authentication / users list is based on OpenLDAP.

I want to use international characters for the "secondary" email addresses but and OpenLDAP is complaining about it, as invalid syntax. I use the field otherMailBox field. I found a make-shift by storing the email address encoded in base64, but I therefore need to be sure any client will be able to read these base64 encoded email addresses. So far, Dovecot is fine, I am not sure yet about Postfix.

Is there any limitation in OpenLDAP that would prevent some fields to be stored in UTF8 directly? I have noticed that the givenName and surname are automatically encoded in base64 when containing accents, so is it a standard practice?

Thanks for your advices.

https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox

Kind regards,
André