Re: Using virtual IP and N-way mutlimaster mode

--On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:40 PM +0000 Andrew Findlay <andrew.findlay@skills-1st.co.uk> wrote:

I'll discuss with Howard, and see.  I hate seeing more options added to
slapd, but it may be the only option (no pun intended!) for this
scenario. ;)  The cloud was fairly nascent when this was all designed,
so this case wasn't really a consideration at that point in time.  If
you were to pass in the server ID, I think you could get rid of the
multi-valued serverID bit entirely, since every server would know who it
was already.

I think you would still need that. Maybe I have missed something else
here, but how does slapd avoid making a syncrepl connection to itself
in the replicated-config scenario? I was assuming that it just ignores
syncrepl clauses where the provider URL matches its own hostname.
If it is done by IP then more thought will be required.

I'm not saying to get rid of it entirely, I'm just noting that with it passed in as an argument, there shouldn't be a need to have a multivalued setting in the configuration. In fact, no serverID setting in the config at all. Even if it connected to itself, it would discard all traffic that came from itself (by checking the serverID value in the entryCSN, which is how loops are currently avoided when a change originating on a master makes its way back from another master). Might add some overhead though.

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>