Re: Using virtual IP and N-way mutlimaster mode

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 09:43:58AM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> > How about adding a flag to slapd to specify the server ID so that it can
> > go the other way through the config, convert ID to FQDN, and drop that
> > FQDN from the set of replication sources?
>
> I'll discuss with Howard, and see.  I hate seeing more options added to
> slapd, but it may be the only option (no pun intended!) for this scenario.
> ;)  The cloud was fairly nascent when this was all designed, so this case
> wasn't really a consideration at that point in time.  If you were to pass in
> the server ID, I think you could get rid of the multi-valued serverID bit
> entirely, since every server would know who it was already.

I think you would still need that. Maybe I have missed something else
here, but how does slapd avoid making a syncrepl connection to itself
in the replicated-config scenario? I was assuming that it just ignores
syncrepl clauses where the provider URL matches its own hostname.
If it is done by IP then more thought will be required.

The multi-valued attribute is neat in the case of servers with simple
IP<->hostname mappings so we would probably want to keep it for that.

Andrew