From: Quanah Gibson-Mount [mailto:quanah@symas.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:51 PM
To: Singley, Norman; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Slapd pegs CPU every ten minutes

--On Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:06 PM +0000 "Singley, Norman"
<Norman.Singley@mso.umt.edu> wrote:

> I have an issue with oldap 2.36 in which every ten minutes, slapd
> starts consuming all available CPU resources briefly.  When this
> happens ldap searches timeout.

I'm going to assume you mean openldap 2.4.36?  That release is over 4 years old, and there have been numerous fixes to OpenLDAP since that release.

> I have bumped up the cache size to 1.5 GB  dn2id.bdb and id2entry.bdb
> are approx. 60 mb combined.

> I get errors (mismatched version) when I run DB_STAT  (database
> environment version mismatch)

You probably need to use a version specific db_stat command, if you're using the OpenLDAP provided by your distribution (i.e., db_stat4.7 or similar, depending on what version of BDB OpenLDAP was linked to)

> Is there anything else I can look at to help troubleshoot? I am
> wondering what would cause slapd to peg the cpu at exactly 10 minute intervals.

A cron job causing a large search or similar?  There's little information to work on here.

Finally, I would note that back-bdb/hdb are deprecated and back-mdb is the preferred backend with current OpenLDAP releases.  back-mdb has numerous advantages in relation to performance, etc, over back-bdb/hdb.

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>