Re: Using virtual IP and N-way mutlimaster mode

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 18:16:57 +0100, Clément OUDOT wrote:
> > Jephte Clain wrote:
> > As Clément wrote he has multiple values configured for olcServerID in
> > cn=config (aka serverID in slapd.conf). So he can't just use
> > "slapd -h ldap://" because the parameter value -h is used by slapd to
> > determine the actual server ID to be used.
> >
> > Well, that's one of the reasons why I avoid to set multiple serverID
> > values. And of course that means that you cannot use a replicated cn=config.
>

> Does that mean that we can set MMR replication for data (not
> cn=config) with only one value in olcServerID? In this case we don't
> have the constraint to start the daemon on a dedicated LDAP URI? Would
> we still be able to define all olcSyncrepl statements in the database
> or do we need to set only those not concerning the current node?

We do MMR with service IP's, using identical slapd.conf's
(with multi-valued serverID) and -h ldap://, but we use the
proper system hostnames for syncrepl providers.

hello,

that's what I meant earlier when I said I did nothing special:

all nodes run with -h ldap:// and I have as many olcServerID as defined nodes
my cn=config is also replicated  between all nodes

for example, I have:
~~~
dn: cn=config
olcServerID: 1 ldap://ldapm3.univ.run/
olcServerID: 2 ldap://ldapm4.univ.run/

dn: olcDatabase={0}config,cn=config
olcSyncrepl: {0}... rid=0 provider="ldap://ldapm3.univ.run/" ...
olcSyncrepl: {1}... rid=3 provider="ldap://ldapm4.univ.run/" ...
olcUpdateRef: ldap://ldapm3.univ.run/
olcUpdateRef: ldap://ldapm4.univ.run/
olcMirrorMode: TRUE

# and for each suffix something like this:
dn: olcDatabase={1}mdb,cn=config
olcSuffix: dc=univ-reunion,dc=fr
olcSyncrepl: {0}... rid=2 provider="ldap://ldapm3.univ.run/" ...
olcSyncrepl: {1}... rid=5 provider="ldap://ldapm4.univ.run/" ...
olcUpdateRef: ldap://ldapm3.univ.run/
olcUpdateRef: ldap://ldapm4.univ.run/
olcMirrorMode: TRUE
~~~

It has worked that way for several years now... Is it ok or am I just asking for trouble?

btw, rid is generated by a script for each new database, nothing funny to see here :-)

best regards,
Jephté Clain

        Geert

--
geert.hendrickx.be :: geert@hendrickx.be :: PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F

Jephté CLAIN | Développeur, Intégrateur d'applications
Service Système d'Information
Direction des Systèmes d'Information
Tél: +262 262 93 86 31 || Gsm: +262 692 29 58 24