Re: uidNumber for Service Accounts?

Douglas Duckworth wrote:
> It seems I created this service account with posixAccount objectClass.
> That requires uidNumber.
>
> So I need to do some research on what's the appropriate objectClass for
> this service account.  It's used by SSSD and Apache, for example, to
> perform binds with our LDAP cluster since we do not allow anon binds.
> In addtion ACLs only permit this account, and the Manager, access to
> read the entire directory.
>
> From reading here http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ape/#objectclasses I
> think I would only need objectClass: account which the service account
> already contains.  So I could delete the posixAccount objectClass and
> then uidNumber, gidNumber, homeDirectory, and loginShell?

Yes. But you have to add auxiliary object class 'simpleSecurityObject'
to add 'userPassword' to this entry.

'applicationProcess' is a similar object class often used for this kind
of service/tool entry.

You should define a naming convention to make such entries easily
distinguishable from all other account entries.

Ciao, Michael.