Re: ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server

On 3 Dec 2017, at 20:44, Bill MacAllister <bill@ca-zephyr.org> wrote:

> For Kerberos the problem is in Cyrus SASL and is true for all load balancers.  Indeed it is true for any system that has more than one
> name.  SASL checks the name that the connection was made to and if they don't match fails.

Yes, I had that problem at work where we run LDAP/MIT Kerberos V behind AWS ELBs.

I managed to fix (with great pain!) so that I can now access LDAP via the one-name ELB,
but not individually. Which, as it turned out, I’d prefer anyway. So I wrote my security
group (firewall) rules accordingly.

So here at home, behind a HAProxy running on OpenStack, I did exactly the same.
But this time I have a much … “weirder” problem. Usually, it doesn’t work right away.
But if left completely alone for “a few hours”, it automagically works!

So in my case here at home, there’s something more sinister at work..

I’m 99% certain it’s something in either OpenStack or HAProxy, but I can’t figure
out what! There’s still that one percent that I can’t explain - I see the initial attempt
in the slapd logs, but not the subsequent one. Meaning, I think, that I can talk to
slapd just fine, but … “something” that ldapsearch/ldapwhoami does fails..