Re: Load testing bind performance

On Wed, 2017-11-01 at 20:33 +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > I've used the python-ldap library to simulate other varieties of
> > interactions successfully, but when it comes to binds, each
> > interaction
> > seems to generate a substantial amount of traffic behind the
> > scenes, so
> > suspect that *things* are happening that is artificially limiting
> > the
> > bind rate/s.
>
> python-ldap itself is a pretty thin wrapper on top of libldap.
> Especially if you're using LDAPObject.simple_bind() or
> LDAPObject.simple_bind_s() [1] there is definitely no "traffic behind
> the scenes".
>
> So if you have overhead on the client side I suspect your own Python
> code adds this.

python-ldap is very thin, but it does have a global mutex that can
prevent you "really hitting" the ldap server you are testing.

For our tests we have a tool called ldclt that we use for load tests
(389 ds base ships with it), and it can do bind tests with connection,
or "just binds" over the same connection to stress the different parts.
It would work just the same pointed at openldap I'm sure.

Alternately, look at slamd, or the tools Howard suggested,

Thanks!

--
Sincerely,

William Brown