Re: Olc deployment vs slapd.conf based deployment

Am 22.09.2017 um 16:50 schrieb Howard Chu:
Peter wrote:
olcSchemaFile: {0}include: file://$ABS_SCHEMADIR/core.ldif
olcSchemaFile: {1}include: file://$ABS_SCHEMADIR/cosine.ldif
olcSchemaFile: {2}include: file://$ABS_SCHEMADIR/inetorgperson.ldif

That is a very nice proposal, it would sort of give us the good things of both worlds.

It means you would not be able to edit the schema contained within these directives over LDAP, since those elements aren't themselves part of the cn=config DIT.

Oops, I just see that I read something different than I meant.
I meant .schema and not .ldif:

olcSchemaFile: {0}include: file://$ABS_SCHEMADIR/core.schema
olcSchemaFile: {1}include: file://$ABS_SCHEMADIR/cosine.schema
olcSchemaFile: {2}include: file://$ABS_SCHEMADIR/inetorgperson.schema

That is what I would like to have, so that people can edit schema in a format that was standardised in LDAP without adding the complexity of LDIF change commands.

So no, it's not the good things of both worlds.
It would make schema modification easier and better traceable and auditable.

But as it is not a lot more than a nice to have, I wont push this further.

Cheers,
Peter

IMHO schema is the only thing where cn=config makes life harder than slapd.conf.

Being a long time lurker on this list it is fun to see that although same subjects like config alternatives,  turn up again and again, the arguments and solution proposals at least sometimes do progress.

Cheers

Peter