Getting ldappasswd and PAM in the same page under CentOS 7

I am having a hard time setting a user password using ldap (OpenLDAP
2.4.40-13.el7) on a CentOS 7 system.

I have installed OpenLDAP 2.4.40-13.el7 (stock CentOS 7 server and client),
nss-pam-ldapd (0.8.13-8.el7) and used authconfig to enable ldap. I have
created a user in the ldap database, and getent works just fine -- the uid and
gid are seen, etc. But I cannot set the user's password in a way that works
for su (and presumably login/slogin, etc.).  I am using ldappasswd to set the
user's password.

I am thinking that PAM and ldappasswd are using *different* oneway encryption
methods and I am guessing I need to update a configuration somewhere (either
for pam, sssd, or nslcd), but I am not finding it.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services