Re: Antw: Re: Olc deployment vs slapd.conf based deployment

On 09/19/2017 08:56 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
Please don't mix git with github! While github makes some things easier to do, it's not required to use gir (as you surely know). The problem with using github is that everybody has to use github then (will pull requests and related discussions be visible in the mailing list?).

That's obviously not a correct statement. It is not true that "everybody has to use github". The true statement would be "people may use github as an alternative contribution path". I do not propose to make a complete switch to github. What I propose is to make official github/gitlab mirror and use that as an alternative contribution path.

Regarding the pull requests and discussions: I have checked the devel mailing list for several months and I haven't see any discussion regarding a contribution. So obviously, this method does not work well either. I'm using github for years and I contribute to several projects. And there are always some ways how to cope with github. Sometimes the github discussions are limited to the technicalities of the merge and all other discussion is referred to mailing list. In addition to that github has hooks that can be used to direct the comments directly to the mailing list. The best solution that I have seen is probably in the Apache CXF project where pull request comments are automatically synchronized with bug tracking system comments. There is always a way ... if there is a will.

What I see as a major problem is that there is no will. OpenLDAP project clearly needs major improvement. But there are almost no contributors to improve the project. I'm trying to explain that there may reasons why people are not keen to contribute. But what I see as a response only makes all of this worse. I'm sorry about that. Really sorry.

You could still use "format-patch" to send your change requests via E-Mail.

You could still write your letter by hand, put it into envelope and send it by post. But we are usually not doing that these days, are we? I'm quite sure we all know the reasons.

--
Radovan Semancik
Software Architect