Re: Olc deployment vs slapd.conf based deployment

On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 14:15 -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Thursday, September 14, 2017 3:06 PM -0700 rammohan
> ganapavarapu
> <rammohanganap@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >

> > I am trying to see what is the best and recommended way of
> > deploying/starting ldap, OLC or conf file based? i was in the
> > impression
> > that conf file based is easy and more controllable approach than
> > OLC?
>
> slapd.conf is deprecated, and support for it will be removed in a
> future
> release.  It is recommended taht new deployments use cn=config.  I
> would
> say "easy and more controllable" are not measurable, nor are they
> relevant.
> I find cn=config to be trivially easy, for example, and allows me to
> execute much better control over my deployments.  YMMV.

If you don't find cn=config to be trivially easy, a tool like ldapvi ht
tp://www.lichteblau.com/ldapvi/ makes config files irrelevant because
the ldap tree can be edited like a file using any text editor you
want.

It may even be convenient in some circumstances to move more
configuration to ldap, but there is no service for that so that can be
done with only a couple applications.