Re: slapd: null_callback : error code 0x14

--On Friday, September 15, 2017 8:48 PM -0700 "Paul B. Henson" <henson@acm.org> wrote:

So I've been putting off posting about this, but I recently upgraded to
2.4.45, stopped using the memberof overlay, no longer have a node with
serverID 0, and overall think my ldap servers should be in good shape
:), and it's still happening, so I thought it was time...

I'm getting weird errors in my logs about group replication changes:

Sep 15 03:55:16 minerva slapd[71654]: null_callback : error code 0x14
Sep 15 03:55:16 minerva slapd[71654]: syncrepl_message_to_op: rid=003
be_modify uid=arc464,ou=group,dc=cpp,dc=edu (20)

These aren't "wierd errors". 0x14=20. I.e., you're simply getting the same error logged twice.

As far as I can tell, all the updates succeed and the objects are
exactly the same on all the replicas, so these failures just seem to be
log noise?

Well, error code 20 is "type or value already exists". If the replica and the masters are starting from the same point, this would tend to imply that the replica is receiving the change multiple times, and it's failing on the subsequent modify operations. There's not enough information here to really deduce much beyond that. I've seen this occur in MMR situations where two masters were updating the same entries within a short window of each other.

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>