Re: Upgrade from 2.4.40 to 2.4.44

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 08:28:25AM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Friday, September 15, 2017 9:18 AM -0700 Ryan Tandy <ryan@nardis.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> IIRC slapcat doesn't work in this case, because it fails to initialize
>> the ppolicy module.
>>
>> The linked CentOS and RHEL bugs recommend downgrading slapd to the
>> previously working version and using ldapmodify.
>
> Yeah, that's ugly :/  Another reason we really need to get slapmodify out,
> and some way to execute it with an option to not load modules or similar.

I guess I should document how you can do that with slapmodify already.

The easiest way, so for simplicity of explanation let's use slapd.conf,
cn=config can still be used:
- put your broken cn=config into another directory (cn=recovery),
  symlinking might work
- set up a slapd.conf:
  database ldif
  directory <dir>
  suffix cn=recovery
- start slapmodify with above config and no schema checking, make your
  changes to ...,cn=config,cn=recovery
- move your config back where you need it

That's it, no modules loaded and no cn=config checking for this either,
for better or worse.

--
Ondřej Kuzník
Senior Software Engineer