Large scale traffic testing

Heya,

Currently working on the design for a new OpenLDAP deployment - and I'm now at the stage where I'd like to thoroughly stress test the platform in order to gain an understanding as to it's capacity and what potential bottlenecks we may hit.

I've, so far, been making use of home grown python-ldap3 scripts to simulate the various kinds of interactions using many parallel synchronous requests - but as I scale this up, I'm increasingly aware that it is a very different ask to simulate simple synchronous interactions compared to a fully optimised multithreaded client with dedicated async/sync channels and associated strategies.

I'm currently working with a dataset of in the region of 2,500,000 objects and looking to test throughput up to somewhere in the region of 15k/s searches alongside 1k/s modification/addition events - which is beyond what the current basic scripts are able to achieve.

I'm starting to resign myself to investing some significant time into recreating a more representative and capable test suit - but I'm sure that this is a problem that most new platforms must have?

So I was wondering what strategies other people have used to stress test platforms elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions