set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              10485760
set_lg_bsize            2097152
set_lg_dir /var/lib/ldap/domain

# autoremove log files
set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

Stats now show:

80      Last allocated locker ID
0x7fffffff      Current maximum unused locker ID
9       Number of lock modes
1000    Maximum number of locks possible
1000    Maximum number of lockers possible
1000    Maximum number of lock objects possible
80      Number of lock object partitions
16      Number of current locks
724     Maximum number of locks at any one time
12      Maximum number of locks in any one bucket
9       Maximum number of locks stolen by for an empty partition
2       Maximum number of locks stolen for any one partition
80      Number of current lockers
82      Maximum number of lockers at any one time
16      Number of current lock objects
391     Maximum number of lock objects at any one time
6       Maximum number of lock objects in any one bucket
0       Maximum number of objects stolen by for an empty partition
0       Maximum number of objects stolen for any one partition
1630324 Total number of locks requested
1630299 Total number of locks released
0       Total number of locks upgraded
18      Total number of locks downgraded
1       Lock requests not available due to conflicts, for which we waited
0       Lock requests not available due to conflicts, for which we did not wait
0       Number of deadlocks
0       Lock timeout value
0       Number of locks that have timed out
0       Transaction timeout value
0       Number of transactions that have timed out
744KB   The size of the lock region
1       The number of partition locks that required waiting (0%)
1       The maximum number of times any partition lock was waited for (0%)
0       The number of object queue operations that required waiting (0%)
0       The number of locker allocations that required waiting (0%)
0       The number of region locks that required waiting (0%)
6       Maximum hash bucket length

Our entire database dumped to ldif happens to be only 1MB in size while we only do writes maybe once or twice a week.  So the 1GB cache seems rather wasteful.  From reading http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1072.html the cache should be in memory not on disk?  I see the 1GB file exists on disk while memory usage for slapd has not actually increased.  Does it preallocate the entire cache to disk then only flush from memory to disk when "set_lg_bsize" value has been reached?

Moreover, after removing "checkpoint" from slapd.conf, and using the above DB_CONFIG, I now see several more 10MB *.log files.

-rw------- 1 ldap ldap  10M Aug 30 11:45 log.0000000455
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap  10M Aug 30 11:45 log.0000000456
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap  10M Aug 30 11:45 log.0000000457
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap  10M Aug 30 11:45 log.0000000458
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap  24K Aug 30 11:46 __db.001
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap  32K Aug 30 11:55 __db.006
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap 3.0M Aug 30 11:55 __db.004
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap 1.0G Aug 30 11:55 __db.003
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap 744K Aug 30 11:56 __db.005
-rw------- 1 ldap ldap  35M Aug 30 11:56 __db.002

Why do so many transaction log files exist if my entire database happens to be only 1MB?

Thanks,

Douglas Duckworth, MSc, LFCS
HPC System Administrator
Scientific Computing Unit