syncrepl error (53) with 3-way delta-mmr (consumer state is newer than provider)

Hi

We have a 3-way delta-mmr syncrepl setup (Debian Stretch with slapd 2.4.44+dfsg-5+deb9u1).
2 of those 3 hosts were powered off for about 4 hours. After the bootup and slapd start,
the host which was running all the time during the downtime started to log:

    SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=53 nentries=0 text=consumer state is newer than provider!

Purging the accesslog database fixed the issue.

Could this have happened due to a timesync problem? We noticed, that right after boot,
the ntpd service was oscillating in its time offset from 0.0192 to 0.0003 for ~3 minutes.

Does somebody have experience with this?

Do we need to delay slapd or force an `ntpdate` before slapd starts in the boot process?
Because slapd has the following LSB headers in the init script

    # Required-Start:    $remote_fs $network $syslog

it is started (using systemd service file autogenerated from init.d script) right after
network.target has been reached and simultaneously with ntpd. Whereas slapd only takes
about 1 second to start, ntpd takes about 10 seconds and it might even take much longer
to get the time in sync.

Kind regards
--
Sven Mäder