Re: Openldap Configuration issues

R H wrote:
> rootdn "cn=admin,o=testcompany.com
> [..]
> however I've noticed, that *cn=admin,o=testcompany.com* entry doesn't exists,
>     while it did using the default config after i've installed openldap.

The rootdn can be used without an LDAP entry existing for it. Otherwise you would have an
hen-and-egg-problem when starting with an empty DB.

> access to attrs=userPassword,shadowLastChange
>         by dn="cn=admin,o=testcompany.com" write
>         by anonymous auth
>         by self write
>         by * none
> [..]
> However (this is where my problem is) when i try to log into Redmine with a user that
> i've just created (with ldap authentication) i always get Invalid credentials error

You should likely check your ACLs. Order is significant in all parts: Order of access
directives and order if <who> clauses.

https://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/access-control.html

https://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/189.html

> (while it works like a charm when i login with any other account, created with Simple
> Authentication)

This sentence does not make sense to me.

> In Redmine, I've configured and tested the *ldap authentication*.

You'd better test with OpenLDAP command-line tools first, e.g. ldapsearch for testing the
redmine user search and ldapwhoami for testing the password authentication.

> These events led me to believe that the error is in the LDAP configuration. After a few
> more hours/days of fooling around with the *ACL*s and *dpkg-reconfigure slapd*

I'd recommend to write your slapd.conf completely yourself and don't use any external
configuration tool. This leads to reproducible results and better insights.

Ciao, Michael.