Configuring OpenLDAP with a custom schema instead of default schemas

Hi,

I'm new to OpenLDAP and I'm finding it hard to perform the initial
configuration (a lot of the information I find online seems to
pertain only to old versions of OpenLDAP, which used a different
configuration system).

Anyway, I have defined a schema file with the custom attributes
and object classes relevant to my domain.  Starting from a fresh
installation of OpenLDAP 2.4.42 running on Ubuntu 16.04, I want
to configure my Slapd server to *only* consider my schema file and
to ignore all the other schemas it's configured to use by default.

I thought it would be as simple as removing the old /etc/ldap/slapd.d
and replacing it with the output of slaptest applied to my schema
file.  This doesn't work, unfortunately, because slapd refuses to
start afterwords.

I apologize if this question seems basic, but I'm stuck on this very
first step and I've been unable to find an up-to-date tutorial on how
to configure a recent OpenLDAP server from scratch (ie, without all
the default schemas).

Thanks in advance for your kind help!
Regards,
Jon