Re: Why didn't rfc2307bis supersede rfc2307?

On Tue, 2017-06-27 at 09:02 -0700, Ludovic Poitou wrote:
> Hi,
>

> As far as I remember, since this happened more than 10 years ago, Luke
> working with people at HP started to revise RFC2307 (which is
> experimental i.e. not even close to a standard). Sun and HP
> implemented some of the ideas, but other vendors did not.
>

> Just my 2 cents.
>

> Ludo
> —
> Ludovic Poitou
> http://ludopoitou.com

Sure, but SMTP is a Draft Standard https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321 ,
but I trust it get this message to you.

It may be a good idea to not only think of it as a technical doc to
define how the protocol works, but also as a marketing doc to let the
world know that people are still working on it, so it is still being
maintained. It is not bit rotting.

If people will see that the LDAP Group rolled a new NIS Schema as an
IETF standard. It would give people an excuse try it out and upgrade.
Some people will go further and try LDAP out as a distributed memory
access protocol for other applications because it is working so well for
their user accounts and they really want to consolidate to save on
licensing and or technical debt.

Maybe we will feel like renaming the on the wire protocol to DMAP
(Distributed Memory Access Protocol) to make it sound faster. I don't
think it is that much of a stretch because OpenLDAP 2.4 ships with
corba.schema and java.schema on Debian.