Re: Limit which database is reachable on which port (slapd is listening on)?

Hi John,

> On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 16:46 +0200, Karsten Heymann wrote:
>> > Read the slapd.access(5) manpage, use an ACL specifying sockname=xxx for the
>> > local port identifier.

> Sorry to hijack this thread, but is there anyway to limit which database
> is reachable on the same port based on domain the in coming connection
> is trying to use like name based virtual hosting like name based virtual
> hosting in the apache web server. I want to make the interfaces as
> friendly as possible without waisting IPv4 addresses.

Yes, that's a standard ldap feature. You differentiate between
different databases on the same server by providing different basedns
when connecting.

Example:
If you have a ldap server with the databases o=companyA and
o=companyB, you can (and in fact have to) specify which database/tree
you are searching:

ldapsearch -H ldap://<my ldap server>/ -b o=companyA givenName=Bob
ldapsearch -H ldap://<my ldap server>/ -b o=companyB givenName=Alive

will search for Bobs in the companyA database and for Alices in the
companyB database.

Was that your question?

Best regards
Karsten