knowing which schema(s) to use

Over the past few days or weeks, I've asked a number of questions related to schemas as I move my LDAP directory to a newer OS and newer version of OpenLDAP. As has happened in the past, I have run into schema issues when importing the database (LDIF file) into the new directory with slapadd.

This time I got the following errors:
1. Kerberos attributes in "new" kerberos schema start with 'krb' instead of 'krb5' 2. I got a schema structural error because user accounts have both objectclasses "account" and "krbPrincipal", which is not good. 3. We were using solaris.schema on the old system, which CentOS 6 doesn't provide, but it does provide duaconf.schema, which seemed be be similar if not identical to solaris.schema.

Both of these are easy to fix - just use sed to change 'krb5' to 'krb', and then change 'krbPrincipal' to 'krbPrincipalAux', but is this really the best/safest way to make these changes. Also, what happens to apps that are looking for the 'krb5' instead of 'krb' and vice-versa?

I think many system admins would say just copy the schemas from the old server to the new server and forget about it, but I don't think this is a good approach. After doing that several times, I imagine the newer applications on the newer OS versions will be looking for different objectclass or attribute names (like krb instead of krb5), and things will eventually break, anyway.

So my questions are this:

1. How do the rest of you handle situations like this?
2. Who/what is the authoritative source for current schema definitions? Are they all defined in RFCs?

In an earlier e-mail, regarding my kerberos schema issues, Michael Ströder wrote
You should use the current schema file shipped with your particular Kerberos installation.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, which led to the kerberos schema issues. And in the past there have been times when the current version of the OS didn't provide the same schemas as the old version, and I was left searching the Internet to find the modern equivalent of the schema from the old system.

--
Prentice