Re: Multiple olcDbIndex for the same attribute

--On Tuesday, April 04, 2017 10:19 AM +0200 "PenguinWhispererThe ." <th3penguinwhisperer@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the response Quanah.

I'm not really sure it's the job of the admin guide or the man pages to
cover all the multitudes of ways in which one can misconfigure the
server, or what the results of such a misconfiguration will be.
So the above configuration is a misconfiguration? It just might be handy
to have an idea how the indexes work. That might give an idea if this
actually invalid, keeps 2 indexes or doesn't make a difference.

The openldap server seems to take the ldif so therefor I don't see it as
invalid. If it already exists openldap does throw an error. Question is
if the above has a negative impact on the openldap service.

I understand man pages and documentation can't cover all. That's why I'm
asking here to perhaps have someone who has internal knowledge about this.

Please keep replies on the list.

I would say that configuring multiple duplicate indicies for the same attribute is a configuration error. Your example shows "eq" being configured for objectClass twice, once coupled with pres. I would /hope/ that would end up as pres,eq only. What it does end up as, I've no idea. It should be fairly trivial to discover via slapadd and using mdb_stat (if using back-mdb) to see the size of the generated indices in both cases. Then you'd have an exact answer. If the resulting index sub-db is the same for objectClass with either configuration, then the extra "eq" is ignored, etc. I would probably try with something like "sub, eq" rather than "pres, eq" for testing purposes.

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>