OpenLDAP performance and slapindex

Hello,

I’m running OpenLDAP 2.4.40 on two multi-master servers with replication enabled. Today we switched over to this instance, imported all users from the old ldap server, and configured an ldap client to use this instance.

Everything is working well, users are authenticating and able to access their assigned groups.

However, we noticed that while on the ldap client and as a regular user we type “w” to see who is logged on this machine, it takes a while before we get a response with the results. If we type “w” again the response is very fast due to caching.

In looking at ways to improve performance of ldap, is slapindex a tool to use? Meaning after importing users accounts from an older ldap, should slapindex be ran? Or is this tool is used when you want to modify/add entries found in the slapd (cn=config.ldif) and database ((olcDatabase={2}hdb.ldif) configuration files not when users are added to the ldap database.

If slapindex is not a tool to use to monitor performance, what do you recommend?

Thank you,

Liz