Re: some memberUid in my database are hashed

Am Tue, 25 Oct 2016 19:07:55 +0200
schrieb Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu>:

> Hi,
>
> I've an openldap database I use for auth purposes in which some
> memberUid is hashed while other not, e.g.:
>
> (results given by sudo ldapsearch -LLL -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// -b
> ou=Groups,dc=unit,dc=company,dc=net)
> dn: cn=GROUP,ou=Groups,dc=unit,dc=company,dc=net
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: posixGroup
> cn: GROUP
> gidNumber: 1026
> memberUid: firstuser
> memberUid:: IGFyaWFubmE=
> [...]
>
> I cannot find any documentation about this kind of "memberUid hashed
> storage", the only differece is the double colon after memberUid
>
> please can you point me to the documentation or tell me how to
> "decode" the memberUid information
>
> also, on a client machine configured to use libnss-ldapd, if I list
> the groups with "sudo getent group" I can see the "clear text"
> members (e.g. firstuser in the example above) but not the "hashed"
> one; the same using the "members" command

The relevant documentation is RFC-2849.
Note that the output of a search result is LDIF. The attribute value in
question is not hashed but base64 encoded, as the second colon
indicates. The reason for base64 encoding is either non-ascii
characters or a trailing space.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung