Re: Fine grained access to attributes

On 29. sep. 2016 17:37, Ralf Mattes wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 29. September 2016 17:20 CEST, Dieter Klünter <dieter@dkluenter.de> schrieb:
The reference is RFC3866

That's the RFC for language and range tags, IIRC. What has this to do
with the syntax of OpenLDAPs access control rules?

I do believe Dieter is talking about what the doc ought to be saying
but doesn't, since like me he knows LDAP to well to notice:-)
I'll file an ITS with a doc bug.

Briefly: "attributes" in indexes and ACLs generally refer to
attribute descriptions _and their subtypes_.  An attribute
description is an attribute type optionally followed by ;options,
which are an extension of the original concept of ;language tags.
A type with a language tag or user-defined ;option is a sub-type
of the original type, just like "cn" is a subtype of "name".

E.g. cn;x-hidden is a subtype of cn, if you've defined x-hidden.
And so you can use access control rules on it, and the rules
for plain "cn" will apply if a rule for cn;x-hidden doesn't
match first.

--
Hallvard