Re: Does everybody end up writing their own directory management programs?

On 09/20/2016 09:56 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:
While I'm the author of one such tool (and therefore personally biased towards
that) I'd recommend to use your favourite scripting language with a decent LDAP
module to write your own custom tool. With such a solution you have full control
and you can easily make use of any existing data in your organization without
having to setup a big infrastructure.

While I'm author of another such tool (and therefore also personally biased) I would suggest against home-brew development. Unless you have at least 2-5 man-years at your disposal. Developing IDM solution is much (much!) harder than it seems. Been there, done that. My recommendation would be to reuse something that is already there. It is almost alway better to join an existing project than to re-invent square wheel over and over again. There are several projects to choose from.

Unless of course your requirements are extremely simple and they will remain simple forever. In that case even a home-brew solution might work.

--
Radovan Semancik
Software Architect