Re: Creating suffix aliases with OpenLDAP

 First, juat to be clear: thank you for your valuable help and please don't take  my comments personally.

Am Donnerstag, 15. September 2016 09:46 CEST, Dieter Klünter <dieter@dkluenter.de> schrieb:

> > I _knew_ I read about that at some time. This (slapd-relay) looks
> > exactly like what I need. Unfortunately this means I need to to dive
> > down into the labyrinth of (not existing) dosumentation.
>
> Just read manual pages slapd-relay(5) and slapo-rwm(5) that is all the
> documentation you should need.

That's how it should be, but in reality:

 - non of the documentation even mentions the "new" live configuration.
    Ironically, every time someone postsher/his old-style slapd configuration
    on this very list she/he's told "use the online configuration".

    Oh, and changing from the old style configuration to the new one is _not_
    just an "add 'olc' in front of the parameters".  For example I can't find
    the rwm-suffixmassage parameter in the olc-Attributes.

 - The documentation fails to mention some rather important prerequisits:
    the need to load 'back_relay', the need to load 'rwm'.

 - The documentation really should mention that a (miss-)configured database
    can't be removed from the server. Better get it right the first time  ... :-)

 - While looking for more information I found out that the documentation in the
   manpage (slapd-relay(5)) is _not_ the same as the documentation in the
   source code:

    .../openldap-2.4.44/servers/slapd/back-relay/README

  mentions a "mapping" keyword that isn't mentioned in the manpage. Oh, and no mention
  of the olc-variants either.

  BTW, the olcRelay attribute seems to be defined with the  OMsDN syntax which seems
  to prevent Apache Directory Studio to edit this value to add the "mapping" keyword.

O.k. enough ranting and on with configuration.

 Chers, RalfD