Creating suffix aliases with OpenLDAP

Dear collectes list wisdom,

I'm running a ldap server whose main database holds a X500 style suffix
(i.e. o=...,l=...,c=...). The organisations name does contain a non-ascii
character 'ü'. So far this never has been a problem but now one of our partner
institutions needs to access the server with tomcat/ndi/proprietary code and that
fails misserably - no wonder: the send the bind DN with the wrong encoding.
While I'm sure there is a solution on the Java/Tomcat side I'd like to provide
the possibility to access the data under a different DN (with 'ü' replaced by 'ue').
My first attempt: I created a second database with the alternative suffix and placed
an alias object as the topmost entry. That object points to the toplevel organisation
object of the real database. But while I can see that object none of the child entries
are found.

s there any to configure such an "alias suffix"?

 TIA Ralf Mattes